- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 5 small parsnips (about 1 pound), peeled
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon minced chives or scallion
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Oil for frying
Grate the carrots and parsnips coarsely. Toss with the flour. Add the eggs, chives, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until evenly moistened.
Heat 1/4 of peanut oil in a saute pan until it is barely smoking. Drop in the batter by tablespoons and flatten. Fry over medium heat until brown on both sides.
Yield: 16 to 18 two-inch pancakes
Recipe Source: Jewish Cooking in America by Joan Nathan (Alfred A. Knopf)