1 1/4 lbs. fresh asparagus, trimmed, peeled and cut into 2 inch lengths
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
1 cup diced raw, peeled potato (1/4-inch)
4 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Steam the asparagus in a vegetable steamer until crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes depending on the thickness of the stalks. Immediately plunge the asparagus into a bowl of ice water.
- When cool, drain and set aside, reserving 8 asparagus tips for garnish.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over low-medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook, stirring once or twice, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and raise the heat to high.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and cook until the potato is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the asparagus (except for the reserved tips) and cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
- Puree the soup.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer. If the soup has cooled, reheat gently until hot.
- Garnish each serving with 2 reserved asparagus tips.