- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 3 cups shredded parsnips
- 1 (1-inch long) piece fresh ginger, peeled and shredded
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream or evaporated skim milk
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Snipped fresh chives, optional, for garnish
Bring the carrots, parsnips, ginger and stock to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Add the cream, and bring to a simmer again over medium heat. Stir in the salt, white pepper, and lemon juice. Taste, and adjust the seasonings.
Garnish with chives, if you like. Serve hot, or refrigerate, covered, for several hours and serve chilled
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe Source: Prairie Home Cooking by Judith M. Fertig (Harvard Common Press)